THE HMT SANCTIONS LIST & CUSTOMER IDENTIFICATION
HM Treasury maintains comprehensive records of all persons and entities currently subject to sanctions. This means that they face financial restrictions, usually on the basis of their links with terrorist activity or human rights abuse.
If you run a business, you need to make sure that you do not handle money or assets owned by sanctioned parties, or enter into an arrangement whereby you grant them access to funds. To do so is a criminal offence. In this course, you will learn how financial sanctions work and how to meet your duties under the law.
You Will Learn:
- How financial sanctions work and the purpose and scope of the UK financial sanctions regime
- The scope and purpose of the Consolidated List and the UK Investment Ban List
- The parties responsible for maintaining these lists and how to use target and name matches to ensure that you do not engage in any transactions with individuals and entities named on the list
- How to verify customersâ€™ identity, and the information you should collect when undertaking transactions
Benefits of Taking This Course:
- If you are a business owner, you will benefit from learning how to avoid conducting business with sanctioned parties
- If you are responsible for financial transactions as part of your job, you will benefit from learning how to verify a customerâ€™s identity and check whether they are currently facing sanctions
- If you work in the financial sector, this course will provide you with a good introduction to sanctions
- If you work in the public sector, you may benefit from furthering your understanding of how the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), the Treasury and other bodies work together to combat crime